Wiki fails with message "It is not possible to determine the wiki ID."

Newman2

Question

MediaWiki Version: 1.30

PHP Version: 5.6.38 (litespeed)

Hello. I have been working on a wiki family similar to Wikimedia Foundation, and I experienced several problems. My third wiki, English Penguingame Studio, failed gracefully with the following messages: "It is not possible to determine the wiki ID." I set up the database and everything, yet I still get the same message. The main wiki is at penguinicewikis.com. How can I fix this on my wiki?

3 answers to this question

Skizzers is correct. It would appear that you are using the code from here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_family#Basic_principles

which will show the error ""It was not possible to determine the wiki ID." when the database is not found.

The code there is in your LocalSettings.php file so open that file and take a look and see if your subdomain is listed there correctly.

The "wiki ID" is a fancy term for "the name of the database where the wiki lives." So, something in your configuration is not setting the database name and/or database prefix correctly for this wiki. My guess has to do with the fact that it's a double subdomain "en.en" and your mapping of subdomain to database name is not changing that period to something else -- periods are not valid in database names or table prefixes.

18 hours ago, Skizzerz said:

The "wiki ID" is a fancy term for "the name of the database where the wiki lives." So, something in your configuration is not setting the database name and/or database prefix correctly for this wiki. My guess has to do with the fact that it's a double subdomain "en.en" and your mapping of subdomain to database name is not changing that period to something else -- periods are not valid in database names or table prefixes.

My wiki has a double subdomain because the single "en" subdomain redirects to the main wiki when I click on the wiki directory. Even the domain penguingamestudio.com gives the same error when you click on mw19. If the double subdomain works, then how am I supposed to determine the wiki ID?

Edited by Newman2 (see edit history)