Top & Left Menus move to content area on certain pages.

AdamRusted

Question

Hey guys, I'm trying to implement something along the lines of Wikipedia's category by month system. It seems to have moved everything from outside the main box inside. I've attached a screenshot to demonstrate what's going on. I'm using the standard Common.css and code from Wikipedia.

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 23.01.40.png

2 answers to this question

A broken layout like that is usually caused by you either having extra open tags or extra closed tag (like you have a <div> but no corresponding </div>, or you have an extra </div> without the associated <div> earlier on). Doesn't have to be div, could be any block-level tag such as <table> too.

If you're copying templates from Wikipedia, you're going to need a handful of settings and extensions installed in order to make them work correctly. Click the links in each point for more info.

• Ensure that Tidy is enabled: $wgTidyConfig. My recommendation is to use the first example on that page under the Examples heading; it will require that the tidy PHP extension (not MediaWiki extension) is installed on your server. If Tidy is not enabled, broken layouts like the above can happen due to how the wikitext parser operates differently when not using Tidy, even if there is no actual issue with your wikitext.
  • Ensure that you have installed the following MediaWiki extensions: ParserFunctions and Scribunto
Edited by Skizzerz
clarify (see edit history)