Citation within a Citation?

Agiliman

Question

I was wondering how I would be able to put a citation within a citation. What I want to do is add a footnote which adds contextual information to something on my wiki and then there is a source for that contextual information. I was using a <ref> function inside a <ref> function and it didn't seem to work. Is it possible to do this or is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do? Thanks!

3 answers to this question

You need to use the #tag parser function, see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Magic_words#Miscellaneous for more information on that. <ref> does not allow embedding any wiki markup inside of it, but {{#tag:ref}} does

Example (untested, may require modification to work):

{{#tag:ref|Contents of the primary footnote/reference goes here.{{#tag:ref|Secondary footnote/reference goes here|name=secondary}}|name=primary}}

This example is the equivalent of the following. Note the following markup does not work, this is meant to just give a better visualization of what the above text is doing:

<ref name="primary">Contents of the primary footnote/reference goes here.<ref name="secondary">Secondary footnote/reference goes here</ref></ref>

Hi thanks for all the help, but I didn't quite specify what I was wanting. So I have two groups of references in my document, the first are normal and the second is for contextual footnotes. I want the primary footnote to go into the contextual footnotes section and the secondary footnote to go into the normal section. Is that possible?

21 minutes ago, Agiliman said:

Hi thanks for all the help, but I didn't quite specify what I was wanting. So I have two groups of references in my document, the first are normal and the second is for contextual footnotes. I want the primary footnote to go into the contextual footnotes section and the secondary footnote to go into the normal section. Is that possible?

Actually I did some fiddling around and what I did was I created a reference group for all my sources and put the notes under the default group and then used a reference function inside the tag function to direct you first to the footnotes and then to the sources. This makes it so that sources are called [source 1], [source 2], etc. and that notes are just [1], [2], etc., but this should suffice. Thanks!