pfautoedit API function not working

kafir55

Question

I'm trying to write a python script to use the "pfautoedit" API call to update a number of pages in our wiki.  I'm able to connect to the wiki fine, but the calls to pfautoedit are returning a perplexing message:

"message": "The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: <a href=\"/mediawiki/index.php/TDS-Mediawiki:Users\" title=\"TDS-Mediawiki:Users\">Users</a>."

In short, it seems to complaining that the auth'd user (me) is not a member of the Users group.  Everyone is a member of this group, and for my own credentials, I have all rights assigned.  I don't get what it wants here. 

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thx

1 answer to this question

You need to login to the API first (generally this is done by using a bot password generated at Special:BotPasswords). You will need to ensure the bot password used has the appropriate scopes to do whatever you want it to do (such as edit pages).

The login API will attempt to set some cookies. You are required to save these cookies in your python script and present them to all future API requests, so it can pull up your logged-in session.