sremick

mw-config blank while trying to upgrade

Question

I'm trying to upgrade from 1.29.2 to 1.31.1 and am having a problem I've never seen before.

I uploaded my files over FTP, then tried to browse to /mw-config/

Blank, nothing. Nothing even in "view source".

I tried renaming .htaccess, that didn't help. I tried enabling error reporting in LocalSettings, still nothing.

What I did find was someone else experiencing the same symptoms 4y ago, but no resolution:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:S03zky07ztg52dou

Any thoughts? I did make a backup, so I'm not dead and can refer to that, but I'd like to get updated.

PHP 7.2.11

MariaDB and Litespeed (not entirely sure how to check those versions... shared hosting, not seeing it in cpanel)

5 answers to this question

A blank page indicates PHP errors. See the how to debug manual for information on displaying the error messages so you can get more information. You may want to insert those error reporting lines at the top of mw-config/index.php instead of in LocalSettings.php.

Ok putting it into index.php accomplished something. Here's what I see:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'Composer\Autoload\ClassLoader' not found in /home/xxxx/public_html/wiki/vendor/composer/autoload_real.php:23 Stack trace: #0 /home/xxxx/public_html/wiki/vendor/autoload.php(7): ComposerAutoloaderInit_mediawiki_vendor::getLoader() #1 /home/xxxx/public_html/wiki/includes/Setup.php(60): require_once('/home/xxxx/...') #2 /home/xxxx/public_html/wiki/includes/WebStart.php(88): require_once('/home/xxxx/...') #3 /home/xxxx/public_html/wiki/mw-config/index.php(39): require('/home/xxxx/...') #4 {main} thrown in /home/xxxx/public_html/wiki/vendor/composer/autoload_real.php on line 23

Did you get the new MediaWiki files via Git or by downloading the tarball?

If you got it via Git, you will need to install and update all of the dependencies yourself. See here for more information.

If you used the tarball, it appears that some of the files didn't get extracted properly or were possibly missed. Re-download the tarball and re-extract it to a new, empty folder. Then copy over your LocalSettings, updated versions of extensions, and images to the new folder. It's always recommended when upgrading with a tarball release to extract to a new folder as there may be issues caused by leaving around files from an old release that were removed in a future release.

Unless you are already familiar with using Git and feel comfortable with your systems administration skills, I recommend using the tarballs.

Edited by Skizzerz
explain best practice for extracting tarballs (see edit history)

I had used the tarball. But re-uploading it worked. I don't recall seeing any errors the first time, but no matter. All seems well now. Thanks :)